Plant the right tree, in the right place, give it good care...and provide joy for generations to come.
How do you select the right tree? Here are some points to consider:
- How tall with the tree grow? Will there be buildings or power lines in the way?
- How wide will the canopy spread? Wll it bump into your house eventually?
- Does it matter to you if the tree loses its leaves in the winter? Shade is great during summer months but you might want more sun in the winter...or you might not.
- What shape of tree will fit best in your location...tall and thin, round, or vase-shaped?
- Consider how fast the tree will grow. Fast growing trees don't always live as long as slow growing ones.
- Will this tree get enough sun and water in this location?
- Does it matter if this tree drops leaves or fruit in this location?
- Select a tree that is appropriate for your zone! (See the Baton Rouge Tree Planting Guide for more information)
- Plant trees that will remain shorter closer to your house and taller ones further away.
- When planting in our part of the world, it is good to consider wind-resistant trees. A list is available from the Baton Rouge Green office.
- Be sure to have the utilities marked before digging!
Plant Smart is funded in part by the Greater Baton Rouge Association of Realtors.
Be sure to visit the Trees 101 page under Projects and Annual Events.